Amazon Best Sellers: Toys & Games Category (USA)
One substantial positive influence within the pandemic times, for the toy business, has been the amazingly successful launch of Disney+ with more than 60 million subscribers worldwide already.
The sales in the Toys and Games category have exploded since the beginning of the pandemic. It’s the need to stay occupied and entertained at home that has led to meteoric sales in sectors, including video gaming and lower-tech toys and games and art & craft for kids.
Times are changing, and so are the medium of consumption & the market that feeds that change. If you’re in the toys & games industry, it’s a perpetual challenge to stay on top of all those vitalizing trends.
Using the proprietary Amazon analytics software of DataHawk, I’ve analyzed all the brands and products in the Top 100 list of the Toys & Games category on Amazon for one year, in terms of their Amazon Sales Rank or Amazon Best Sellers Rank and spent the maximum time in it since the 1st of January 2020.
Amazon Best Sellers: Top 4 Brands
1. Hasbro is the overall winner of the category so far, with 93 products in the Top 100. Not only did it is one of the biggest catalog brands in the Top 100, but Hasbro also spent the most time there since January 1 — 3,027 days collectively, for all products. The average for all brands in the top 100 was 732 days. An underlying factor could be that Furinno’s average selling price is $19, which is less than the category average of $21 for the Top 100. However, Hasbro’s competitive advantage lies in the fact that they have a diverse catalog with multiple price options, something for everyone. Their indomitable popularity also comes from their massive entertainment brand portfolio.
2. Crayola Consumers’ interest in “board games,” “toys for kids,” or “crafts for kids” has been growing, according to Google Trends. Crayola had 96 products (all crafts for kids products) in the Amazon Top 100, with an average selling price of $12.6. The brand has been present in the Best Sellers on Amazon US for 2751 days; this means at least one product from Crayola was on the Best Selling List for the entire year.
3. Lego had 97 products in the Top 100 for the Toys & Games category. While that is the biggest catalog in the category, Lego spent less time there — 2,161 days versus 3,027 days spent by Hasbro. As such, it is in third place on our brand leaderboard. Brands with larger catalogs carry more SKUs and have a higher likelihood of making the Top 100. Another DataHawk metric, “Brand Presence Rate by Product,” looks at a brand’s collective time in the Top 100 across all products for a given category as a percentage of its theoretical maximum. Lego bags a 6.1% by product vs.7.8% & 8.9% for Crayola & Hasbro. However, the brand’s vogue can be explained by the highest ratings #4.8 among the top 30 in the category.
4. L.O.L. Surprise! Despite an extraordinarily high average selling price of $38.9, L.O.L. Surprise! had 56 products in the Top 100. This points to a strong brand reputation, considering that there are a lot cheaper alternatives.
Top 4 Products
Three of the top four best-selling products in the Toys & Games Category are Card Games.
1. Cards Against Humanity. Since January, the best sales rank was 1, and the worst was 100.
- Price: $25
- Reviews: 94,044
- Star Rating: 4.8 out of 5
2. Exploding Kittens Card Game. The best sales rank since January was 1, and the worst was 100.
- Price: $20.0
- Reviews: 57,620
- Star Rating: 4.7 out of 5
3. Jenga Classic Game. Since January, the highest sales rank was 1, and the lowest was 100.
- Price: $7.0
- Reviews: 50,836
- Star Rating: 4.8 out of 5
4. UNO Cards. The best sales rank since January was 3, and the lowest was 97.
- Price: $10.00
- Reviews: 25,079
- Star Rating: 4.8 out of 5
Top 4 ‘Rising Stars’ Products
The “rising stars” products below have recently cracked the top 100 in the Toys & Games category on Amazon U.S.
Hasbro is a good example of a brand that’s adapting to the needs and personas of shoppers. Hasbro is known for its quality and variety both in terms of games and pricing. First seen on Amazon Best Sellers List in December 2020, the CARD GAME now has over 19,827 reviews and a 4.8-star rating out of 5 — thanks to a low selling price of $7.1. In fact, this Hasbro product is ranking #1 in Standard Playing Card Decks
Here’s another card game on the list. The recently popular card game spent 4 days on the best sellers list since Dec 28, 2020. They have the third-highest number of reviews on the list, with a 4.7-star rating.
This one has only three reviews and a 4.7-star rating as of late December. Still, it ranked 3rd in the Top 100 for three consecutive days in December. The craft kit for kids is the lowest priced among all the newbies.
Yet another celebrated brand for kids, Pokemon. This playing kit was first listed on Amazon on March 19, 2020. However, it made the Top 100 for only 2 days, starting from Dec 24, 2020. It falls on the higher end in pricing compared to other brands on the rising stars leaderboard.
Pooja Kothari is a content & community specialist at DataHawk, a powerful eCommerce Business Management Softwareproviding Brands, Retailers & Agencies, with the analytics, optimization tools & professional services they need to fuel their eCommerce growth on Amazon.
She manages and produces content to help sellers sell better on Amazon. Her unique perspective stems from her experience, both, as an engineer and as a content specialist. When she’s not working, you can likely find her trying to pick up a new skill.